Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Oh, the monotony.

Thursday I'm scheduled to come into the office at 8 a.m. I leave the house at around 7:35, stop at Subway for some breakfast (it wasn't that good), and then get into the office a little before 8. Paula, my boss, isn't there yet, so I walk around the office and see what's going on. I pass by the brainstorming/lunch room, and see a note on the table.



I read the note, then sit down in the room to eat my breakfast. I finish eating and go to the kitchen to put the leftovers in the refrigerator. While there I meet a nice woman named Robin. I think she's one of the creative writers. She was nice. I make my way to the intern office, and grab the copies of the Oracle that I've brought for Nancy and to show Paula. While I'm talking to Nancy, Paula comes into Nancy's office and looks at the Oracle. We talk about the work, and eventually Paula takes me to show me what my tasks of the day will be. Big surprise, it involves the pile boxes of books that I encounters in the idea room.

There are about 8 boxes, each box containing 36 books. I have to do the task listed on the sheet, and I soon find out how tedious it is. After a bit of time, I put my problem solving skills to work and figure out that it's best if I put the labels in while sitting on the floor. It's better for my back, and I can better align the labels so that they are pretty straight.

After a while, Ben, one of the art directors pops in and we chat for a bit. I ask him what is the purpose of the books, whether the company designed them, or what? He explains that the books are a promotional gift for their client, and the company designed the labels. "Isn't there a machine or something that can do this," I ask, half joking, half serious. I'm of course referring the the label-placing. He laughs and tells me no. I think he feels sorry for me having to put all those lables in those book. But I find out that it's part of the job of the company to construct/prepare promotional pieces for clients. So, someone has to do it. I wasn't the only one, though. Walking in the hall while taking a break, I saw a woman in another room doing the same thing to another set of books.

Eventually Nancy comes in and helps me label the books. Then the mysterious Anna also shows up. She's the woman who wrote the instructions on how to label the books. She's pretty, blonde, petite. She looks a lot like Jeri Ryan, her eyes especially. When introducing herself, she pronounced her name as "Ah-nuh," which immediately made me think she was of German descent.

So, as Nancy continues the task of labeling the books, Paula takes me to show me some other things that I'll be doing. She shows me some filing that needs to be done. And also, to my surprise, she gives me a design project. It's no biggie. I'm to redesign some CD labels for the company. They'll be used to put on the CDs that are given to clients when they can't download the information from the agency's ftp site.

So. . . that's pretty much all the "excitement" of that day.

No comments: